Friday, January 23, 2009

Blog for this week 1-23-09 Thoughts on this book!

So we are really into the book called, "The Ticket That Exploded" and pretty much it has made no sense to me at all, so lets jump back in time to last week and my discoveries about the book to help clear things up...

Last week 1-15ish...
First I am taking a look at this book and am wondering what its really about! I mean "The Ticket that Exploded"! I mean the title did not make any sense at all, so I start reading the outside cover and the back cover to try and get a grasp of what this book is about, and that did not tell me much. It was pretty much just meaningless and did not get any hints about what the book was about whatsoever. I did read some people saying how great an author Burroughs was, but thats about it. Nothing really special. So I get into reading the book and determine its some kind of sci fi detective book thats a really extrememly hard read. As I get into the book more though there is weird alien sex describing texts that are just way out there and I am pretty much starting to hate the book. I start to wonder, "Is this author gay or something"? Large portions of this book seem to be about Alien gay sex, I mean really I don't want to read this! That pretty much concluded my thoughts for the end of that week.

Middle of This Week...
Things have not really changed about this book. I have tried to sit there and understand it picking out little paragraphs and analyzing them to no avail. Seems the book in just supposed to make no sense at all, and I am just never going to get the book. Besides the Bizarre sex acts in the book just really freak me out and make me not want to read the book at all! I find myself sitting there gazing at the pages reading the book but thinking about other stuff like what I'm going to eat later on in the day, or my new car that I want, or that really pretty girl in my microbiology class, anything but the book at all. So I'm about half-way through the book and just have sort of been trying to figure out the book but really just have gotten more confused than ever!

Now 1-23-09
It finally came to me! After class on thursday I know why the book makes absolutely no sense at all! It's becuase it's not supposed to! The style of writing this author used is called "The Cut Up Technique", which can be demostrated if you follow this link.



This book did make sense at one time (Although I don't see how)! It was then just cut up and made into a completely new unmeaningful story! Wow! All those relentless, tireless hours of thinking about what this book is about, was really unecessary ha! I really should have figured it out sooner! Well I always try to look on the bright side of things no matter how grim things tend to look, and I have to say maybe I did improve my reading and literary skills by really analyzing this book. I am also happy I learned a new technique of writing which may seem strange to some, but others absolutely love this guys work, and in this english class I believe it is a good idea to analyze different texts no matter how bad or how meaningless they may seem. After all there is meaning in almost anything no matter how small, or how simple something is, it has a meaning and a purpose even if we do not know the meaning or purpose.

Well and the book sort of does have a story to it. Mostly its about a virus, some police called the nova police, and a gang called the nova gang. It seems in the beginning of the book everyone was infected by a virus! Also this book was about alien sex but I really don't want to go into that. It seems as though the main character was a detective of some kind, and he was trying to find the origins of the virus? From what I gathered. i am still working on the book so I have a lot of reading to do beofre i can establish whats going on, but in class it sounded to me as though the book was really just meaningless and maybe the point of the book was to do something that was really tough, like read a random book thats not an easy read, that does not make sense from front to back, and call it good! So thats what I'll have to do!

1 comment:

  1. But what if it does make sense? Just not a sense that we are used to? Or why must there be something to get? It is funny that meaning and contagion use the same language. "I got something" means both comprehension and infection.

    ReplyDelete